Skip to main content

Another one-dish-wonder



During the summer, I love meals that don't require heating up the oven. I also love throwing random things together. And so this dinner was born, and it's quickly become one of my favorite things to eat on a hot summer night.

At a dinner party awhile back, my friend Deirdre made this great cucumber "salsa," and while I love to scoop it up on chips or eat it by the spoonful out of the container, we decided that the mixed-veggie goodness of it would be great as a salad.

Enter quinoa. I want to love the stuff, since it's so good for you, but I always struggled with it tasting a little too bland. Once I discovered that cooking it in a light broth really jazzes it up, I was hooked. My favorite is Better than Bullion veggie flavor, which comes in a jar rather than as a powder. I use it at about half strength, rather than full.

Finally, my mother makes these really delicious chicken tostada salads. The chicken is poached, and then dressed with a red wine vinaigrette and tossed with some sliced red onion. When I feel like I need a little extra protein, I love to throw this chicken into a salad or, as it turns out, into my cucumber salsa-quinoa-chicken salad. A great one-dish dinner, and equally awesome the next day (or two) as lunch.

Boy, I need to work on the names for these things, huh? That one is certainly a mouthful.

Serves a TON. Two hungry post-gym girls plus four lunch-sized portions. I could cut it in half, I suppose, but I hate having halfed peppers etc sitting around. So I just put some background music on and resolve to chop chop chop.

2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
Red wine vinegar
Olive Oil

1 cup dried quinoa, cooked to package instructions (or use broth instead of water)

2 medium cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 medium tomatoes (or one pint of grape tomatoes), chopped
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put on the chicken to poach and the quinoa to cook; both will take about 20 minutes once they start to simmer. (Good directions on how to poach chicken can be found here). When each is ready, let it sit and wait; remove chicken from water so that it will be cool enough to shred.

While those are simmering away, chop all the veggies and herbs. This usually takes me about a half hour or forty minutes or so in total. Mix with dried dill, salt, and lime juice in a huge bowl. Add in cooked quinoa and stir. Adjust seasoning with salt or more lime, if needed.

Shred chicken, pulling it apart into bite-sized pieces. Add a small amount of finely chopped red onion, and a little extra jalepeno if you have it. Dress with a mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil, without drenching (I like a 3-to-1 ratio, but you may have a different preference if you like it less tangy). Serve chicken on top of a bed of the quinoa/veggie salad. I also like to add a bit of cubed feta for a little extra treat. Delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructivist Crap

Reading this post was like deja vu for me! I took a class just like this as an undergrad... (surprise, surprise) in the education department. I made it through that semester by taking solace in two facts: (a) I was also taking The Sociology of Education in the soc department, with a professor who actually taught the material and (b) most of us in my little liberal arts bubble wouldn't end up teachers, thus wouldn't have an opportunity to inflict such pedagogical torture on kids who needed to actually learn stuff. It would appear that Newoldschoolteacher has neither of those to help her out. God save her. The professor in my class repeatedly insisted that we were a "democratic classroom" and that she wasn't any more of an expert on the material than us. WHAT? I paid good money for that course, money that employed her to teach me. I hope that she was more expert on the material than I was! Also, when I "took responsibility for myself" and said that

Privilege of Being

Robert Hass Many are making love. Up above, the angels in the unshaken ether and crystal of human longing are braiding one another's hair, which is strawberry blond and the texture of cold rivers. They glance down from time to time at the awkward ecstasy-- it must look to them like featherless birds splashing in the spring puddle of a bed-- and then one woman, she is about to come, peels back the man's shut eyelids and says, look at me, and he does. Or is it the man tugging the curtain rope in that dark theater? Anyway, they do, they look at each other; two beings with evolved eyes, rapacious, startled, connected at the belly in an unbelievably sweet lubricious glue, stare at each other, and the angels are desolate. They hate it. They shudder pathetically like lithographs of Victorian beggars with perfect features and alabaster skin hawking rags in the lewd alleys of the novel. All of creation is offended by this distress. It is like the keening sound the moon makes sometimes,

Singing Metro Man

This morning on the Orange Line train to work, Singing Metro Man made an appearance. If you ride the Orange or the Blue Line, you may know of him...I’ve heard from other passengers that he’s been around for years, though I can only confirm the last three. He’s an elderly Asian gentleman, well-dressed, who steps onto the train right before the doors close. Once the train begins to move, he clears his throat, says a polite but insistent “Excuse me,” and begins to sing a hymn from his songbook. The effect is eerie. The silent morning train, everyone still half-asleep before their first cup of coffee. The whoosh of the tunnel. The man’s gentle, earnest voice singing a capella (he’s not half bad) about how we should trust in Jesus. As he reached his crescendo this morning, I half expected the train to explode or something—the moment just felt very... cinematic. Luckily, life is not a movie, and after the song was done, he wished us all a good day, exited the train and moved to the n