Skip to main content

Kozol Redux

Jonathan Kozol has a new book coming out this week, and will be speaking twice in DC to promote it: Politics and Prose on Friday and Blair HS in Silver Spring on Saturday morning.

It's called The Shame of the Nation: Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America. I haven't seen a copy yet, but the press release for the Silver Spring event that I saw contained some excerpts, including the following:

'I went to Washington to challenge the soft bigotry of low expectations,' said President Bush in his campaign for reelection in September 2004. 'It's working. It's making a difference.' Here we have one of those deadly lies that by sheer repetition is at length accepted by surprisingly large numbers of Americans. But it is not the truth; and it is not an innocent misstatement of the facts. It is a devious appeasement of the heartache of the parents of the black and brown and poor, and if it is not forcefully resisted it will lead us further in a
very dangerous direction.

and
'There is no misery index for the children of apartheid education. There ought to be; we measure almost everything else that happens to them in their schools. Do kids who go to schools like these enjoy the days they spend in them? Is school, for most of them, a happy place to be? You do not find the answers to these questions in reports about achievement levels, scientific methods of accountability, or structural revisions in the modes of governance.
I saw Kozol speak while I was an undergraduate, and I have to say, I remember his speech bringing me to tears. I was invigorated by what he had to say, ready to be a crusader for social justice. Last year, he was giving an address at Georgetown, and I went to see him again. I was ready to be reminded what it is that I work for.

Kozol railed for 2 hours about how tests are bad, standards are bad, accountability is bad, education researchers in *shudder* "Washington think tanks" are turning elementary school into a factory system, and the world of education is a dispirited, broken place because of efforts to analyze policy decisions and find efficient solutions. I was sorely disappointed, and came out asking "What would you rather we do, barring immediate reversal of America's poverty issues?" I honestly want to know: acknowledging the fact that it's nearly politically impossible to pump more money into education without some proof that it's working, what would you suggest we do instead?

Savage Inequality is still a mesmerizing, heart breaking book. Kozol is at his best when he's revealing the great injustice of economic conditions in our country, especially because his audiences are largely in communities of privilege that are isolated from the harsh reality of urban poverty. But testing didn't cause these conditions, and testing isn't aggravating them either. Once he leaves the realm of anti-poverty cheerleader and stumbles into policy analysis, Kozol's soaring rhetoric falls dramatically short.

I agree with Kozol--our ultimate goal should be that every child loves to learn. But, given all the ground we have to make up by the time they even enter kindergarten (which he so eloquently reveals himself), disadvantaged children have got a lot of hard work ahead of them if that's ever going to happen. It's unfair, I agree. But blame the inequality, not the tests that measure it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructivist Crap

Reading this post was like deja vu for me! I took a class just like this as an undergrad... (surprise, surprise) in the education department. I made it through that semester by taking solace in two facts: (a) I was also taking The Sociology of Education in the soc department, with a professor who actually taught the material and (b) most of us in my little liberal arts bubble wouldn't end up teachers, thus wouldn't have an opportunity to inflict such pedagogical torture on kids who needed to actually learn stuff. It would appear that Newoldschoolteacher has neither of those to help her out. God save her. The professor in my class repeatedly insisted that we were a "democratic classroom" and that she wasn't any more of an expert on the material than us. WHAT? I paid good money for that course, money that employed her to teach me. I hope that she was more expert on the material than I was! Also, when I "took responsibility for myself" and said that

Privilege of Being

Robert Hass Many are making love. Up above, the angels in the unshaken ether and crystal of human longing are braiding one another's hair, which is strawberry blond and the texture of cold rivers. They glance down from time to time at the awkward ecstasy-- it must look to them like featherless birds splashing in the spring puddle of a bed-- and then one woman, she is about to come, peels back the man's shut eyelids and says, look at me, and he does. Or is it the man tugging the curtain rope in that dark theater? Anyway, they do, they look at each other; two beings with evolved eyes, rapacious, startled, connected at the belly in an unbelievably sweet lubricious glue, stare at each other, and the angels are desolate. They hate it. They shudder pathetically like lithographs of Victorian beggars with perfect features and alabaster skin hawking rags in the lewd alleys of the novel. All of creation is offended by this distress. It is like the keening sound the moon makes sometimes,

Another one-dish-wonder

During the summer, I love meals that don't require heating up the oven. I also love throwing random things together. And so this dinner was born, and it's quickly become one of my favorite things to eat on a hot summer night. At a dinner party awhile back, my friend Deirdre made this great cucumber "salsa," and while I love to scoop it up on chips or eat it by the spoonful out of the container, we decided that the mixed-veggie goodness of it would be great as a salad. Enter quinoa. I want to love the stuff, since it's so good for you, but I always struggled with it tasting a little too bland. Once I discovered that cooking it in a light broth really jazzes it up, I was hooked. My favorite is Better than Bullion veggie flavor, which comes in a jar rather than as a powder. I use it at about half strength, rather than full. Finally, my mother makes these really delicious chicken tostada salads. The chicken is poached, and then dressed with a red wine vinaigrette